IPSL Virtual Spring School 2021
The school is organized by the Climate Graduate School (CGS) of the Institute Pierre-Simon Laplace (IPSL). IPSL-CGS brings together world-renowned scientists working in the field of climate change in the Paris area. It provides a unique opportunity to prepare for a master or a doctorate degree, while actively participating in the life of a research laboratory.
The school is dedicated to international undergraduate and master students. This year, IPSL Virtual Spring School 2021 will be held from Paris, entirely online, from May 4 to 7, 2021, a special attention will be dedicated to the observation of planet Earth, from space, airborne and surface instrumentation.
The program includes
- Scientific webinars and online discussions on a range of climate science topics, with a focus on Earth observations and their use for societal and research challenges.
- Hands-on group workshops.
- Practical information about studying in the Paris area : presentations and online discussions with French students at the Master or PhD level, about career opportunities.
- A surprise side event to provide “a taste of Paris”.
Themes to be addressed include
- Societal needs and research frontiers in the ocean
- Exploring Earth observing systems to study the atmosphere: climate variability and changes
- New Trends in Climate Modeling: anticipating the future
- The Earth climate from the sky
- A journey in the stratosphere
- The dynamical landscape of marine ecosystems
- The Earth observing systems, instrumental challenges and the use of data
- The working language of the Virtual Spring School is English.
- Please note that your on-line presence is expected for the entire duration of the virtual school. We will make our best to adapt to the different time zones of the participants.
- Practical requirements: an efficient internet connection and a tablet or computer equipped with microphones and speakers, are absolutely necessary.
- Open to applicants with undergraduate (B.Sc.) or master (M1, M2, M.A., M.Sc. or equivalent) degrees in physics, Earth sciences, environmental sciences or related fields.
- Candidates will be selected based on their CV and motivation letter.
- Deadline for receipt of applications: April 9, 2021.